Saturday, May 21, 2011

Backpacking kit Pt 2

So, between finishing my last post and starting this one, there is a new almostlightweight backpacker in the world. LSB was born in Colorado Springs, at 7:21am on May 21st, weighing in at 8lbs 1oz, 21 inches long and perfect.

Back on topic, I left off singing the praises of a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, and will pick up right there.

1. Snow Peak Gigapower and Hybrid Trail cook set

I decided on Snow Peak after field testing a multitude of stoves including the MSR Pocket Rocket and Dragonfly, a few Optimus Stoves and the ubiquitous Jet Boil.

The Snow Peak wasn't the cheapest or lightest. It didn't have the fastest boil times. But it was near the top of the list in all categories. Most importantly, the Snow Peak is efficient and consistent. From sea level to 13,000 feet, boiling came quickly and cooked well. I use a tin foil windscreen and have yet to have the stove go out while cooking, even in 30+ mph winds. I've used it in the heat of summer and in sub-freezing. I sleep with my fuel canisters and have never had a problem getting it going. The four pot supports make for a much more stable system than the usual three.

At 3.75 oz, it is barley noticeable and is worth its weight in gold at $40 from most outdoors retailers out there. Coupled with the Hybrid Trail cook set ( 8 oz, $52) you have a 11.75 oz setup not including fuel, that includes stove, pot, pan, plastic bowl and spork with mesh sack.

This is within an ounce of the Jetboil Sol, at $30 less than the JB, and a far more capable package. All the pieces nest together, including fuel to create a compact and easy to store cook system.

2. Black Diamond Storm headlamp

I won't get in to details, because lumen's blah blah blah, are not something I care about. It's bright, has a wide and narrow beam, white and red light, strobe function and is weather sealed, which is perfect for riding out storms or for night paddling, which is my primary use for it out of getting to and from the camp latrine. It takes AAA batteries which are convenient to buy and replace. ( 4oz $50)

3. Steri-pen/Water bottle

If I am going out in a large group, on a long trip, cooking big meals with lots of pots and pans, I typically take a gravity feed bladder style water purification system. If I am with another person, or a larger group on a short trip or where cooking is boiling water, I usually bring my First Need XL Pump filter out. Its one of the heavier options out there at 16 oz, but it is by far the best pump filter I've ever used.

But this article is about my solo kit, isn't it. For Solo backpacking, you cannot beat a steri-pen with pre-filter.   3.6 oz, $65 for the adventure model. People complain about batteries dying, but with as little as those batteries are, and cheap too, you can afford to buy, and carry spares.

I use a coffee filter pre-filter with a wide mouth Aquafina water bottle. These bottles are light, cheap, relatively durable and recyclable. The wide mouth versions are getting harder and harder to find but they are out there.

Most Importantly, I've been in areas known to harbor both Giardia and Crypto-sporidium and have yet to get sick.

4.  Swiss Army Spartan

Most men prefer the biggest most intimidating knife they can afford. Those knives tend to be heavy and ill suited to backpacking. I typically go out into the field with the Spartan as my only blade. It's sharp, holds an edge well, weighs 2.6 oz and can be had for a song. Between a tweezers and toothpick, blade, bottle opener and corkscrew I have never found myself wanting for a different blade or multi-tool.

 Well, I am blogging from the hospital, with spotty service and a new baby to attend to and a wife to feed.  In the next episode of ALW, I will address the last four items in my kit. In the mean time, drink a beer on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment