Monday, May 23, 2011

Backpacking kit pt 3

Last part of the series, and likely the least interesting but necessary all the same.

1. Compass and Map

Absolutely the best option.  No batteries to fail you,  inexpensive enough that you can afford to buy spares without breaking the bank. Once you learn to use them, it's a valuable life skill. Even if you use a GPS, I would suggest bringing a map and compass as back-up.

I use a Brunton orienteering compass, along with maps printed at home with waterproof map paper. While on the trail or on the water, I keep both map and compass in a waterproof map pouch.

2. First Aid

While it is possible to put together your own first aid kit, it has been easier for me to buy a kit from the store, and adding any situational items that I need. I use the REI Backpacker Plus Multi-day. I typically add an epi-pen if I am traveling with people with allergies, mosquito salve if traveling around water, an inhaler, and any other prescription medication needed. This is one of the heavier non base items I carry, but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

3. I like the keep it simple approach to clothing. My three season clothing kit consists of (for any length trip) is two pair of non mesh gym shorts, two poly-lycra short sleeve t-shirts, two pair of smartwool socks and a full set of base layers. The weight of the baselayer (midweight, lightweight or heavyweight) varies as to the season. I also carry a set of rain gear ( I use the Patagonia Torrentshell), and a softshell jacket (I use a Mountain Hardwear Offwidth).

4. Food

Food is intensely personal. I know a number of people who bring only specialized dehydrated backpacking meals like the ones made by Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry, while others sacrifice weight to cook gourmet meals on the trail, three meals a day. I find the dehydrated meals are often inconsistent and bland, but like to stay light.

I often use a combination of both styles of cooking. Coffee (Starbucks VIA packets) and granola often make up breakfast, jerky, string cheese, nuts or trail mix for morning and afternoon snacks. Lunch is often a wrap or summer sausage and cheese. Dinner is a mix of dehydrated backpacking meals and meals such as boil in a bag rice mixed with tuna and spices or a dehydrated soup. (Bear Creek Soups are awesome!)

What you end up packing for food depends on your taste and appetite, number in your party method of cooking and a ton of other variables. Eventually there'll be a method to your madness.

5. Hygiene Items

I left this off the original list and wasn't gonna get into it at all, but I feel like its worth a mention. For almost all your needs, the travel sized items of the items you use at home will be just fine. I try to use bio-degradable soap and shampoos as much as possible. Burt's Bee's makes a great set of travel bio-degradable hygiene items. To keep clean, a lot of hikers and backpackers use baby wipes. To me, this is just more trash to pack in and out. I've been using a green dish scrubby (New alright). Works like baby wipes, re-usable, no trash to pack out. Ask my wife, the scrubby has been a godsend.

That makes up my typical backpacking kit. I'm absolutely sure I missed something important, so if you would like my thoughts on something else, or if you disagree with me, or have a better idea, feel free to let me know. Just like everybody else, I'm still learning.

Beers on me.

2 comments:

  1. Footwear? Good or bad footwear can make or break a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct sir. Footwear will have its own post tonight.

    ReplyDelete