Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Footwear

Footwear might be the single most important investment you can make if you spend any amount of time on the trail. It's also a choice that varies extremely from person to person. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to try on as many pairs as you have time for, and spend a reasonable amount of in each pair.

I have a decent amount of experience in several styles of trail shoes. I've used hiking boots, hiking sandals, trail runners,  and approach shoes.

I am not qualified to speak on the minimalist running shoes I've been seeing on the trail such as the Vibram 5 fingers.

I have friends who swear by boots, talking about the importance of protection and support while carrying a load. I've spent over six hundred days in hiking boots and so feel confident in sharing my feelings on them. I find them to be heavy, difficult to dry (even the gortex lined or the so called water-proof breathable boots can be near impossible to dry if you manage to soak through them), bulky and for myself, typically uncomfortable.

Hiking sandals can be a fantastic option if you are hiking in an area were creek crossings or wet trails are prevalent, and biting insects are not to be found. Nothing can make for a more uncomfortable camp than having your feet covered in mosquito or fly bites. Sandals are lightweight, "breathable", fast drying footwear. I've seen more and more people on the trails, especially through-hikers and distance hikers hiking in sandals.

It's important when fitting sandals to buy sandals with comfortable, fast drying, sock friendly straps. Heel straps are a must and should be adjustable enough that you can tighten them while bare-foot or wearing thick socks for colder weather.

Trail runners are my personal choice for 90% of my hiking. I currently wear a pair of NB 573's. As with all trail runners, they are lighter than boots with more support than sandals. They have excellent traction and have seen over three hundred miles without any issues. Unlike sandals, they accept Yaktrax and Microspikes without a problem. I can sock up or down for foot comfort as temperature dictates.

I recommend, with any close-toed shoe to find an insole that that works. I like Superfeet, and have used some the the Dr. Scholls athletic insoles with mixed success.

If rock climbing takes precedent over hiking, the trails are short or mostly scrambling or warm alpine climbing, approach shoes can be an excellent choice of footwear. They are typically low-top, lightweight with extra sticky soles.

Like I stated previously, I have yet to put any miles on a barefoot or minimalist style shoe, and look forward to hearing your opinion on them as a trail shoe.

It's worth finding a shoe, boot or sandal that works for you. A good pair of shoes might fade a way as unimportant while out on the trail, but a bad, poor fitting pair of shoes can ruin your hike, trip and feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment