Friday, May 20, 2011

The Why and How of it. (My backpacking kit) PT 1

I, like everyone else, like to have the newest, nicest gear out there. Unfortunately, I'm not made out of money. What I do have a fair amount of, is time, so I spend a lot of time talking to people about gear, reading reviews, test-driving at my favorite stores, etc. I've slowly refined my kit to meet my needs without breaking my budget, with gear that will get the job done efficiently, and the right price point and lowest weight I can afford.

Today, I am going to explain my solo kit, and why I made the decisions I did as far as gear is concerned.

Pack- REI Flash 50
Sleeping Pad- Z-lite
Sleeping Bag- Kelty Cosmic Down 20
Tent - Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
Stove- Snow peak Gigapower
Cook wear - Snow Peak Hybrid Trail Cook set
Headlamp - Black Diamond Storm
Water purification - Steri-pen with pre-filter
Water bottles - Aquafina or other gas station water bottles, in wide mouth preferably
Knife - Swiss Army Spartan
Compass and map
First Aid Kit
Clothing
Food

I know this doesn't encompass everything I take out with me, and I am leaving out purposely some of the hygiene items, sunscreen and such, and will not get into much detail about these items. Every gear selection is a very personal decision, but these items a little more so than the rest.

1. REI Flash 50
One of the mistakes I see people new to backpacking make is to buy a pack much too big for their needs. They then spend time filling a bag that was too big in the first place that ends up being heavier and more expensive in the long run than it needs to be.

That said, I find 50 liters to be just about the perfect size for myself. I have been out solo for 10+ days with the Flash without any hindrances due to size.  The Flash 50 is a light weight (42 oz) pack that can be made even lighter by removing the internal frame and back panel. I've never found this necessary but it is a nice option to have.

The pack itself has several compression straps, lash points and exterior pockets to include hip belt pockets. It also has tool attachments for staying trekking poles or ice tools. The price, through REI, new was $150, and with their semi-annual 20% sale (you just need to be patient) its down to around $120, which is awesome for a full featured, light weight, comfortable pack like this one.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the nicest, lightest or featured pack out there, but unless you are doing extremely technical packing, carrying heavy loads or hiking in extreme temperatures, it should get the job done.

2. Therm-a-rest Z-Lite

Once again, a very personal decision, depending on how you sleep. I don't need three inches of cushion, so I went with the Therm-a-rest Z-lite. It is a tad bulky, but extremely light weight (11 oz) as far as pads go. You can't puncture it and thus never have to worry about finding a pin-hole leak in a tent at night. I find it to be quite comfortable, and was able to shave off a little weight by cutting down the regular length version to what I found comfortable. It straps easily to the outside of a pack and makes a great place to sit in camp.

The Z-lite sells for $40 at REI

3. Kelty Cosmic Down 20

I have dreams about sleeping bags, about the day when it will be nothing for me to go out and buy a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friend bag for every occasion. That time is not now.

The Kelty Cosmic Down 20, I believe is the absolute best value in sleeping bags right now. It's a light weight ( 40 oz) down bag with respectable loft for 550 fill duck down. It's true to it's 20 degree rating and packs down small.

On the down side, no pun intended, it is only 550 fill duck down, vs the 750-850 fill goose down of top of the line bags. As such, the down doesn't fill as evenly or loft as much.

On the way upside, this bag can be had from a multitude of retailers for less than $80. I prefer Campmor for this purchase. Their customer service and delivery has been stand-up every time.

4. Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1

Not a lot to say. Big Agnes makes great tents and this is no exception. Lightweight (38 oz) full fly, roomy and well ventilated. What more can you ask for.  I bought a year old model, as their had been no changed made in the new year, and paid $100 through Campmor.

The next four items will be detailed tomorrow here at Almostlightweight.

No comments:

Post a Comment